I hope this post finds you well!
This week I want to share my new favorite breakfast with you. Breakfast is a meal that I tend to get into a rut with. For a long time, I ate a piece of dense dark rye bread with some almond butter. It did the job for years, then one day I couldn’t eat it anymore. I had overdone it (like I used to do when I was a kid with my cheese sandwiches or any other food I ate daily).
After I stopped my daily rye toast with almond butter routine, I discovered a few different
breakfasts that worked well for me. Included on the list are the following:
- Paleo omelette muffins (if you do well with eggs, these are a great quick, hearty
breakfast. You can add lots of veggies to them which is always a bonus nutrient and
taste wise! Below is a recipe for them from the Paleo Plan website. I do not use the ham
or sausage. I find that onions and veggies do the trick. See the recipe.
- Quinoa kale cakes- Recipes from 101 Cookbooks, Epicurious and for a vegan version: Oh She Glows.
- Green smoothies (there are so many variations to enjoy), from Kris Carr and Simple Green Smoothies.
- Greek yogurt with homemade granola and berries and ground toasted flax seed
- Protein shake (Vega one brand seems to work well for me and has great ingredients.
Most recently, my newest discovery was introduced to me by nutrition coach and instructor,
Andrea Nakayama, who I am currently taking an “Intensive Digestive System” class with (which I am loving). I will call it the “Chopped Apple Surprise Power Breakfast”.
Chopped Apple Surprise Breakfast
1 apple chopped
2 tbsp coconut flakes
1 tsp chia seed
1-2 tbsp cacao nibs
1 tbsp coconut oil
small handful of walnuts (about 6)
sprinkle of cinnamon
Lysa’s addition- ½ cup cooked quinoa (this addition made this breakfast complete for me)
This breakfast kept me satiated for 3 hours (which included an hour of exercise). At the end of
the 3 hours, I opted for a green juice which worked well for almost another 2 hours. If you give
this recipe a try, please let me know how it works for you.
More next week, until then have fun!