Journey Home to your Inner Health Expert
by Lysa Ingalsbe, Certified Holistic Health Coach, RN
Originally published in Issue 02 of Kristen Noel’s Best Self magazine.
The theme “Journey Home”, is one that comes up often in my work as a nutrition coach. Many people come to see me because they feel that they “should” be eating “healthier” but are not sure how to do so. When I first began this work, I was excited to help people “fix” their diets. Years later, I now have a different perspective. I am more excited to help people understand what their body is asking for. What foods help them feel their best and which ones they could use less of. It is a key element in learning how to eat well. The process is a journey that I like to think brings the person “home” to themselves. In a very basic sense, it brings them to listening to their “gut” feeling and acting from that core place instead of just eating whatever some health “expert” suggests to them. In fact, it helps empower people to be their own inner “health expert”. If you are curious how to begin this journey, keep reading!
There are many tools we can use to help us connect to our health expert. Here are the most powerful I have come across in my work and in my own personal experience.
- Practicing mindful eating. When we give our awareness to the food we are eating,
we create more of a connection with our food and tend to want foods that are more nourishing. We are more in tune with what feels good to chew, swallow and digest.
- Checking in and listening. This is a form of mindful eating but focuses on just taking a
moment to check in with yourself throughout the day to ask the following questions:
- Am I thirsty, hungry or both and if I am hungry, what am I hungry for?
- While you are eating, check in and ask “have I had enough? Am I content now?” I like to stop
eating at the point of contentment but not maximum capacity.
- After a meal, you can ask yourself “how do I feel? Do I feel energized or tired? If you feel like taking a nap, most likely that food is not for you (unless you did not sleep the night before).
Ready to start your journey? Begin with simply listening to what your body has to say. We all
know how good it feels to be listened to. Listen, and learn what wisdom your body has to share