Balsamic Beets and Beet Greens
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
1 bunch beets with greens
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 vidalia or red onion, sliced into thin half-moons
- Preheat oven to 375. Spread the walnuts in a baking dish and toast in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Cut off the beets, then separate the leaves from the stems at the based of the leaf. Discard the stems.
Wash greens and cut into bite size pieces.
- Scrub beets and place unpeeled in a steamer and cook until tender (30 minutes) Peel beets by running
them under cold water while slipping off their skins.
- Cut beets into quarters, and cut each quarter into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place in a medium sized bowl
and toss with the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute’ for 3 minutes.
Add sliced greens and cook, covered for 5 to 7 minutes, until wilted.
- Just before serving, add beets to the beet greens and heat through (1 to 2 minutes).
- Place greens and beets on a platter and garnish with toasted walnuts.
Taken from Greens Glorious Greens by Johnna Albi & Catherine Walthers